Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 20-22 - Chicago!


Home of the Grant Park Orchestra


Happy in Chicago at the bean!

I love Chicago and since it was Pete's first time, we tried to do everything that I were my highlights from trips past. So, with the aquarium already checked off, we decided to explore downtown a little bit. First Sasha took us out to this incredible little restaurant called Xoco, which is owned by Rick Bayless, winner of some cooking show I guess. Fantastic and reasonably priced! Then Pete and I took a walk through downtown to Millenium Park, where we saw the giant bean and the amazing ampitheatre where we stumbled upon an open rehearsal of the Grant Park Orchestra. Then we took a bus up to Lincoln Park to see the FREE zoo, which seemed to house more rabbits than exotic animals. Must be a paradise for rabbits in the middle of the city, because almost every exhibit had a rabbit in it. The highlights were the gorillas, which sparked a conversation about how human they are, animal treatment, and the fact that Pete's mom Dede worked with the mother of Coco (remember, the gorilla that learned sign language) during her college years. Very cool and humbling.

We made dinner again that night and I got a chance to try out a Peace corps recipe I picked up when I was in Guatemala - mix tomato paste with cream cheese and it makes an incredible pasta sauce! We added some fresh tomatoes, onion, fresh basil, and to top it off, I learned out to fry basil to add some crunchiness! Quite good if I don't say so myself...

The next day, Pete and I did the architecture tour that Joan took me on the last time I was in Chicago. It was just as good as the first time, and totally worth every penny. Afterward we met up with Sasha for a free concert at Millenium Park ampitheater, this time the real show of the Grant Park Orchestra. It really struck me that if I had to live in Chicago, I think I'd be quite happy. I guess I have only been there when it's beautiful in the summer though...A dinner of salami, cheese, and bread topped off an excellent visit.

-Elena

1 comment:

  1. We looked up what the "BEAN" in Chicago really was, very neat. That is a lot of steel! and no seams...impressive. Fried basil is also an interesting idea, not one I would have ever considered. I know the weather is warm, but it beats the winters there in the teens or less. Thanks for the trip updates. Gord

    ReplyDelete